February 19, 2020
Policy Speech by the Governor of Tokyo, Koike Yuriko, at the First Regular Session of the Tokyo Metropolitan Assembly, 2020
In opening the first regular session of the Tokyo Metropolitan Assembly in 2020, I wish to relate my basic stance on future metropolitan administration.
First, I will speak about our handling of the novel coronavirus. By holding the Crisis Management Council meetings and establishing the Tokyo Novel Coronavirus Response Headquarters, bureaus and offices at the Tokyo Metropolitan Government (TMG) and relevant organizations have been working closely to take swift action against the coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19). We have been taking a wide range of measures, including accepting some Japanese returnees from Wuhan City at metropolitan hospitals and hospitals run by the Tokyo Metropolitan Health and Hospitals Corporation, promptly setting up consultation desks and health care provision systems for Tokyo residents, temporarily accommodating the returnees who do not have a home in Japan at metropolitan housing, and opening special consultation desks for small and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs).
In addition, we have urgently requested that the national government, among other things, build up testing systems and ensure the stable supply of masks and other essential products. And, to support efforts on the ground, we have sent personal protective equipment for health care workers in China, following requests from Chinese organizations. Now, at this regular session of the Assembly, we have submitted a proposal for a supplementary budget that further promotes measures from the standpoints of strengthening measures against infectious diseases and minimizing the impacts of COVID-19 on our economic activities. The proposed supplementary budget, in conjunction with the fiscal year 2020 budget, will form a “13-month budget” to seamlessly implement measures from March to next fiscal year, and will promptly and widely advance measures, including strengthening the testing systems, securing systems at medical institutions to accommodate patients, stockpiling additional protective gear, and providing detailed support for SMEs and the tourism industry. Your deliberation is highly appreciated.
Regarding teleworking and off-peak commuting measures for the Tokyo 2020 Games, in order to prevent the spread of COVID-19, we will implement them much earlier than planned. So that we “practice what we preach,” the TMG will have all its employees at the main buildings cooperate in teleworking and off-peak commuting. We strongly request companies and other organizations to also take this opportunity to further promote remote work and staggered commuting hours.
The state of the COVID-19 epidemic has reached a new phase and remains unpredictable. We will continue to cooperate with the national government, the municipalities, neighboring local governments, and other relevant organizations, and together with the members of the Tokyo Metropolitan Assembly, will do everything in our power to ensure Tokyo residents’ safety and peace of mind.
- The final stage of Games preparation
- Initiatives for the success of the Paralympic Games
- Mobilize all of Tokyo’s resources to realize the best Games ever
- A strategic vision for Tokyo’s future to serve as a compass to a bright future
- Nurturing children and weaving a bright future
- Building a long-life society where everyone can shine at any age
- Enhancing Tokyo’s vitality through community revitalization
- Toward a society where everyone can display their individuality and abilities
- Proposal of the Ordinance on Assistance for Crime Victims and Others
- Ensuring further advancement in disaster measures
- Building a disaster-resistant city
- Building a health care provision system that supports safety and security now and into the future
- Improvement of the transportation infrastructure that supports safe and unhindered movement
- Smart Tokyo: the technology to improve quality of life of Tokyo residents
- Support the development of startups and SMEs
- Take action against the climate crisis
- Realize a beautiful Tokyo with abundant greenery
- Toward an enjoyable Tokyo thriving with new fascination
Please click here for the original Japanese speech.