December 20, 2019
Office for Housing Policy
“Guidelines for Preventing Tenant-Landlord Disputes” produced in foreign languages
Tokyo Metropolitan Government has produced foreign language versions of its “Guidelines for Preventing Tenant-Landlord Disputes” for foreigners who live or are planning to live in Tokyo. They will be available to download from the website of the Office for Housing Policy from today, so please feel free to make use of them.
1.Details of the summary version
※ Explanations of various important facts will be included in the guidelines.
- A collection of advice and points to follow to avoid disputes
- Illustrated, easy-to-understand explanations of common rules and conventions in rental contracts
- A fundamental explanation of how to approach returning a property to its original state at the end of a tenancy, repairs while moving in, etc.
- Tokyo Metropolitan Government’s advice center
- The guidelines (81 pages): <in English>
- Summary version (8 pages): <in English, Chinese and Korean>
The Office for Housing Policy website
Distribution locations for the summary version
A summary version is expected to be distributed sequentially from January at the locations listed below.
- Realty Section, Housing Planning Department (Assistance in Japanese only)
(Tokyo Metropolitan Government No. 2 Building, 3rd floor, north side)
- Tokyo Metropolitan Government Foreign Residents' Advisory Center
(Tokyo Metropolitan Government No. 1 Building, 35th floor, north side) (tel:03-5320-7744)
- Tokyo Metropolitan Comprehensive Consumer Center (tel:03-3235-1155)
- Business Development Center Tokyo (tel:03-6269-9981)
- One Stop Business Establishment Center (tel:03-3582-4934)
- Headquarter of the Tokyo Real Estate Public Interest Incorporated Association, Real Estate Consulting Office (Assistance in Japanese only)
- Tokyo Head Office, All Japan Real Estate Association, Real estate consultation services (Assistance in Japanese only)
- Counters and help desks at various local government offices
The guidelines (81 pages)
Summary version (8 pages)
English, Chinese and Korean versions