Bureau of Olympic and Paralympic Games
Tokyo 2020 Preparation
Tokyo Metropolitan Government
City Cast Activities at Olympic Games Tokyo 2020 with No Spectators
In response to the decision to hold the Olympic Games Tokyo 2020 without spectators at venues in Tokyo, which reduces the need for City Cast activities, the Tokyo Metropolitan Government (TMG) has requested that City Cast participate in other activities based on their preferences and availability.
At the Tokyo 2020 Paralympic Games, the TMG will ask as many City Cast as possible to assist in guiding spectators at major stations and during the Last Mile to each venue.
1. New City Cast Activities at the Olympic Games
1) City Cast Voices
We listened to City Cast voices regarding activities at the Olympic Games without spectators. Volunteers have expressed the desire to work on-site, send messages to cheer athletes, and participate online.
Although we planned to ask City Cast to guide spectators at major stations and during the Last Mile to each venue, the TMG has also asked volunteers to help liven up the Games, provide event information, showcase the charms of Tokyo and other areas, and help ensure safe and secure Games.
3) Specific Content of Activities
|Guide for visitors/ Provision of event information
Public recording to showcase the charms of Tokyo and other areas
|Tokyo Sports Square
||19 Jul – 5 Sep
|Guide to bus stops for athletes
||18 Jul – 23 Jul
16 Aug - 23 Aug
|Guide for media
||Tokyo Media Center
||23 Jul – 8 Aug
24 Aug – 5 Sep
|Guide for visitors, provision of event information, etc.
||Around the Olympic cauldron, etc.
||24 Jul – 8 Aug
25 Aug – 5 Sep
|Support for public recording and publication of Tokyo 2020 Support Channel (External link)
||Hibiya Open-Air Concert Hall
||23 Jul – 25 Jul
1, 7, 8 Aug
|Guide for visitors/ Support for venue operation, etc.
||Paralympic Gallery GINZA
||30 Jul – 5 Sep
|Publication of messages to cheer athletes via the website
|Publication of the charms of Tokyo and other areas via the website
- We provide detailed schedules of the above-mentioned activities to City Cast as soon as they are determined, and call for participants.
- Many City Cast have already provided us with messages supporting the Games and information that showcases the charms of Tokyo and other areas, which are posted on the Olympic and Paralympic Games Tokyo 2020 TMG Portal Site, etc. We also continue adding new information to the website.
- We display a panel of City Cast messages supporting the Tokyo 2020 Games and motivating volunteer activities at the Main Press Centre, Tokyo Sports Square, information booths for City Cast (Paralympic Games), etc.
- We call for City Cast who live in Tokyo to participate in the on-site activities mentioned above.
2. Approaches to the Paralympic Games
- In principle, the activities mentioned in 1 above will continue during the Paralympic Games.
- In regard to the guiding of spectators at major stations and during the Last Mile, which was less necessary during the Olympic Games due to the decision to hold the Games without spectators, we will try our best to coordinate dates and times according to the preferences of individual City Cast to provide the widest coverage possible.
- For City Cast who are unable to participate in activities due to scheduling, we ask for cooperation in online activities (messages supporting the Games, showcasing the charms of Tokyo and other areas) if possible.
- We have asked City Cast to be available for activities for five or more days and five hours per day throughout the Games. However, we will accommodate City Cast who are not available for all five days or who are available for fewer than five hours per day. This includes both on-site and online activities.
[Reference: State of Participation of City Cast]
- Although we have had close contact with City Cast about preparation for the activities for the Tokyo 2020 Games, including the decision to hold the Olympic Games without spectators from abroad, and have asked each City Cast about their intention to participate as well as their preferences regarding roles and areas for activities, a total of 5,890 City Cast have withdrawn from participation.
- In line with the decision to hold the Games without spectators, City Cast activities geared toward spectators have become less necessary. Therefore, we have asked all City Cast (approx. 25,000), excluding those have withdrawn from participation, to participate in new activities, including activities related to our online program and activities for the Paralympic Games.
*Please click here for the original Japanese press release.